Board of Trustees Application
In order to provide quality library services to Powell County, the Powell County Public Library requires a collaboration of a Library Director(s) and a Board of Trustees who are informed and make the necessary decisions to move the library forward.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is composed of five members
It is critical that each person appointed to the Board of Trustees will be willing to perform the duties listed below. Unfortunately, Trustees receive no payment for their work.
The Board of Trustees is composed of five members who are appointed by the Powell County Fiscal Court. The term of office is four years. A trustee may fill an unexpired term and/or serve for two consecutive terms (four years each). The Board will actively seek applicants to fill any vacancy that occurs.
A Trustees must:
Trustee applicants, please review the following criteria which will be used by the sitting Board members of the Powell County Public Library in evaluating candidates for the vacant position. An appointed Trustee will agree to:
- Commit the time necessary to carry out the duties of a Trustee. This includes time to become and stay knowledgeable about public library issues, to attend board meetings, and to carry out board assignments.
- Express genuine interest in public libraries and support the importance of these institutions in meeting the educational, recreational, and informational needs of all community members.
- Be able to work with others to reach a common goal.
- Be open-minded, intellectually curious, and respectful of the opinions of others.
- Understand and support freedom of expression as protected by the first Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
- Create, review and amend library policies.
- Employ and evaluate the director(s)
- Plan for and implement future endeavors of the library.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the library within the community.
- Be an active advocate for the library.
If an applicant has questions or requires additional information, they may contact the library director(s), board member or attend a Board meeting. The Board meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 5:45PM in the meeting room of the Powell County Public Library.
Application for Board of Trustees Position
Application Deadline: Tuesday February 20, 2024 by 4:00PM